Iowa Sports Betting – How To Bet On Sports Legally In IA in 2023
- Online Sports Betting Available In IA Via Offshore & Domestic Sportsbooks
- Domestic Iowa Sportsbooks Available In-Person, Online, & Via Mobile Apps
- Legislative Movement Toward Sports Betting: Iowa Sports Betting Is Legal
Iowa became the 11th state to legalize domestic sports gambling in May 2019. Opting for brick-and-mortar, online, and mobile betting, state-regulated sportsbooks can now compete with the popular offshore sportsbooks that have been providing betting services to Iowans since the PASPA ban.
Since Iowa gambling laws have never prohibited offshore sports betting, it has been among the many states that have allowed sports betting via online sportsbooks.
Iowa launched eight domestic sportsbooks and an online sports wagering service in August of 2019, just in time for football season. Now, local gamblers in Iowa can take advantage of all legal sports betting opportunities, including offshore and domestic, online, mobile, and in-person.
Is Bovada Legal In Iowa?
Yes, Iowa sports bettors can join Bovada as a member and place wagers without violating state or federal gambling laws. This is because Bovada operates legally from Costa Rica and is able to provide sports betting services over the Internet to 18+ online gamblers inside of IA. Bovada.LV has served Iowa for over a decade and continues to hold the top spot among all available sportsbooks.
Bovada Sportsbook #1 USA Betting Site
- Welcome Bonus of 50% up to $1,000
- Operating From The Legal Jurisdiction Of Costa Rica
- Same Day Payouts with Bitcoin
- Options to Use Venmo, Paypal with Vouchers
- Also Offers Casino, Poker, and Horse Racing
- Wide Selection of Sports Coverage & Wagering Options
- Does Not Accept Players From NJ, NV, DE, NY, or MD
Is Sports Betting Legal In Iowa in 2023?
Yes, it is. State-licensed sportsbooks that operate online and in person and mobile sports betting apps launched in Iowa back in 2019. Iowans also have access to offshore sportsbooks that are operating legally outside of the US, giving residents multiple betting options.
Is Online Sports Betting Legal In Iowa in 2023?
Yes! Both offshore and local sportsbooks are legal in IA, allowing local players to bet on sports using PCs, laptops, tablets, and smartphones across the state. Here's what Iowa bettors can access legally.
- Domestic sports betting sites and mobile sportsbook apps
- Offshore sports betting sites accessed through computers or mobile devices
No Iowa gambling laws or federal regulations prohibit offshore or domestic online sportsbooks if they're operating legally. IA is one of many US sports betting states that features all types of online sports betting, making sure that local gamblers keep their business within Iowa's borders.
Iowa Sports Betting Bills
The Status of Iowa Sports Betting Legislation for 2023
In Iowa’s 2023 legislative session, several sports betting bills were on the docket that included provisions for IA gaming legislation. The state has already authorized both digital and physical games and gambling operations.
That being said, the majority of the bills proposed various additions and modifications to the existing infrastructure, including revised tax allocations, revenue distribution, cashless wagering, and licensing, among other regulatory details and issues.
All current and future bills relevant to sports betting in Iowa that seek to expand and/or change the existing regulations will be monitored through our state-by-state bill tracker page.
IA Sports Betting Details
In the following section, the integral details surrounding sports betting in IA are listed for your convenience.
- Legal Sports Betting: Offshore and State-regulated
- Minimum Sports Betting Age: 21 (Domestic), 18 (Offshore)
- Land-Based: Yes
- Online: Domestic & Offshore
- Mobile: Domestic & Offshore
- In-Play: Yes
- Grand Falls Casino & Golf Resort
- Prairie Meadows Racetrack
- Riverside Casino & Golf Resort eClub.
- Diamond Jo Worth Casino
- Fun City Entertainment Complex
- BetFred Sportsbook
- Caesars Sportsbook
- Elite Sportsbook:
- FanDuel Sportsbook
- PointsBet Sportsbook
As of September, 2023 no laws prohibit sports betting over the web using offshore sportsbooks in of Iowa. This status is a result of the international jurisdictions that offshore sportsbooks operate within. Because Iowa laws are unable to govern overseas sports gambling sites, they can be used within the state without getting players into trouble.
Iowa sportsbooks allow betting on both professional and collegiate leagues and teams. As far as the offshore sportsbooks accepting Iowa residents, they allow bets across all sports, leagues, teams, and bet types.
For Iowa-based sportsbooks, the only restriction we know of for certain is that college prop bets will not be available. There are no restrictions via the offshore sportsbooks.
The Internal Revenue Services considers all gambling winnings as income and imposes a flat 24% tax on gains through sports betting. The state also collects a 5% tax on all winnings acquired from betting on sports.
Options for Legal Sports Betting in IA
Where Can I Bet On Sports in Iowa?
You can wager at many different gambling outlets in Iowa. There are several domestic online and retail operators currently up and running. In addition, offshore online sportsbooks operating legally within the industry, such as the ones listed on this page, also accept betting action from Iowa's sports fans.
- Is Bovada legal in Iowa? Yes, Bovada is legal in Iowa because there are no laws that make offshore betting a crime. Bovada Sportsbook's sportsbook can be accessed online by 18+ players in IA because of their operation from within an international gambling jurisdiction. Visit Bovada Now.
- Is MyBookie legal in Iowa? Yes. MyBookie holds all the appropriate licensing credentials required to accept members from inside of Iowa for sports betting. No state or federal laws are being broken by placing a bet online with MyBookie.AG in IA. Visit MyBookie Now.
- Is BetOnline legal in Iowa? BetOnline is legal to use in Iowa and has served the state for several years. Bet on the NFL, NBA, NHL, College Football, and more, all from the comfort of your Iowa home using BetOnline.AG's robust sportsbook site. Visit BetOnline Now.
- Is XBet legal in Iowa? Yes. Xbet is a licensed online sportsbook and is regulated offshore. They are a sister site to MyBookie and provide superior sports betting services to gamblers in IA. Visit XBet Now.
- Is BetUS legal in Iowa? BetUS Sportsbook is another legal option for gambling on pro and college games in Iowa. They offer a large variety of entertainment betting options to Iowa-based gamblers. Visit BetUS Now.
Iowa Sports Betting Apps
Iowa launched its mobile state-regulated betting service alongside its domestic sportsbooks in August 2019. In addition, area players can legally bet on their smartphones or tablets through the mobile sportsbook apps offered by the online casinos you see listed on this page. Each of them features a website that is optimized for mobile use, bringing all the features from their desktop sportsbook to your fingertips.
Unlike domestic sportsbook applications, Iowa sports betting apps that operate offshore don’t need to be downloaded. These are mobile-optimized, web-based applications that only need a connection to the internet for access from anywhere inside the state. Because they are web-based, your account is always perfectly synced, whether on a desktop, smartphone, or tablet. Click any of the mobile icons below to check out our preferred mobile sportsbooks.
iPhone Sports Betting in IA
iPhone sports betting in IA can be done with or without a download. Offshore sportsbook apps only require a mobile web browser to use, but domestic options must be downloaded and stored on iPhones and iPads. We prefer offshore sports betting apps because they can be pulled up faster, offer a greater variety of odds, and accept cryptocurrency deposits.
Android Sports Betting In IA
If you use a Samsung or Google Pixel-branded smartphone in Iowa, offshore and domestic sportsbook apps are available. International sports betting sites only need to be clicked on using a mobile browser, but domestic applications need to be downloaded to Android devices. An age of 21 is required for domestic gambling apps while Iowa sports betting can begin as young as 18 using offshore options.
Best IA Sportsbook Promo Codes for September 2023
When Iowa sports bettors make a deposit into their accounts, they can opt to accept a sportsbook bonus cash offer. These sports betting promo codes can be entered when making a deposit that adds a percentage of the transaction total back into bankrolls for use in the sportsbook.
As long as all terms are met, the cash can be withdrawn at any time. These sportsbook promos are offered for all first-time deposits and are usually extended for additional uploads. For the highest sportsbook bonus dollars available, make your deposits with Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.
- Bovada Sign Up Bonus: 50% Deposit Match Up To $1000 – Use Bovada Bonus Code BVD1000
- MyBookie Sign Up Bonus: 100% Deposit Match Up To $1000 – Use MyBookie Promo Code MYB100
- BetUS Sign Up Bonus: 125% Deposit Match Up To $3,125 – Use BetUS Promo Code Join125
- Betonline Sign Up Bonus: 50% Deposit Match Up To $1000 - Use Betonline Promo Code BOL1000
PRO TIP: To maximize the sportsbook bonuses and promotions at these sportsbooks, use crypto for your deposits! You'll get more bang for your buck with larger bonuses as well as access to additional reload bonuses.
Anderson A. - Sports Bettor Since 2014
Best Online Sportsbook Payment Methods Available in Iowa
Cryptocurrency Sportsbook Deposits
The only way to use Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies to bet on sports in Iowa is to become a member with an offshore sportsbook site like the ones mentioned here. Domestic books only accept traditional banking methods like cash and credit cards.
BTC deposits are the most commonly accepted at online international sportsbooks, but most major altcoins are supported by the sites we recommend to Iowans. Sportsbook bonuses are also higher when using cryptocurrency to upload funds.
Person-To-Person Sportsbook Deposits
While offshore sportsbooks do not accept deposits using popular transfer companies like PayPal, Venmo, Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, Cash App, Zelle, and others, they can be used to upload funds using P2P vendors. Some international sports betting sites have these person-to-person options built in, while most will require accessing these services yourself and having them upload funds on your behalf.
Credit/Debit Card Sportsbook Deposits
Even in 2023, the most popular sports betting deposit method is still cred and debit cards like Visa, Discover, American Express, and MasterCard. We do not recommend using credit or debit cards because there are fees attached by the banking institution and the offshore sportsbook. Find out how to get the fastest sportsbook payouts in our sports betting banking guide.
IA Online Sportsbooks: Offshore VS Local
Offshore IA Sports Betting
Domestic IA Sports Betting
How To Bet On Sports In Iowa
Now that you've decided which online sportsbook(s) you want to become a member with, you can create a membership, deposit funds, and place a wager within a few minutes. This process is detailed in the following steps so that Iowa sports betting can commence as quickly as possible.
- Click on any offshore sportsbook link we've included in this guide using a web-ready device in Iowa
- Click on the "Join" button that can be found at the top of any page within each sportsbook site
- Enter information into each field
- Verify your sportsbook account using your smartphone or email address
- Create a secure sportsbook login
- Make your first deposit (we strongly suggest using cryptocurrency!)
- Legal IA sports betting can now take place within the online sportsbook
- Locate the game line, prop bet, or futures that interest you and place a wager. Clicking on the spread or odds will add it to your bet slip.
- Enter the amount of money you want to bet and click submit
- Wait for the game to end and collect your winnings!
Pro Tip: Consider joining two or more sportsbooks so that the lines can be shopped to your advantage before the game, match, or event.
Marcus W. - Sports Bettor Since 2011
Popular Sports To Bet On In IA
Bet on the NFL odds for all 32 teams or any College Football game for Iowa or Iowa State at domestic and offshore sportsbooks. Local football betting sites allow customers at the age of 21 and some offshore sportsbooks allow Iowa-based gamblers to sign up at the age of 18.
If you want to bet on MLB odds or wager on College Baseball, there are domestic and international options available in Iowa. Offshore sportsbook sites let Iowans bet on baseball at the age of 18 and use cryptocurrency to deposit funds, while domestic books require a minimum age of 21 and are cash only.
Bet on UFC odds for every fight on the card for pay-per-views or any other Ultimate Fighting Championship-sponsored event at offshore and local sportsbooks. This is also true for other MMA events hosted by Bellator and other recognized promotions around the world.
Local sportsbooks do not produce, create, or take bets on election odds or political props. These are exclusively offered at offshore sportsbooks, and the best election sites for Iowans are linked to in this guide. Political betting is available for federal and state elections.
If you've ever wanted to bet on reality TV shows, awards shows, pro wrestling, celebrities, and the British Royal Family, they all fall under the category of entertainment betting. Just like betting on politics, entertainment gambling is only offered at offshore sportsbook sites. We've provided a list of the best entertainment betting sites in IA here on this page.
Most college and pro games will feature betting lines that remain active after they've begun. This is referred to as in-game betting and is mostly offered on the point spread, money line, and over/under. Some domestic books may offer live betting, but all of the online IA sportsbook sites mentioned in this guide are providers of in-game lines.
Active Iowa Betting Sports For September 2023?
The following section includes what current sports are taking action at online sportsbooks right now and in the coming weeks. Of course, this is just a taste of what's being offered at our top sportsbook sites - you'll have to check them out for yourself to see all the sports and entertainment odds that are on the boards.
Biggest Sports Betting Cities In IA
Sports Betting In Iowa City, IA
You will find Kinnick Stadium, home to the Iowa Hawkeyes, in Iowa City, IA. The Hawkeyes are a Big 10 school in the Western division and have notable football and basketball programs. The Big 10 has some tough competition, but the Hawkeyes are towards the better end of the spectrum in terms of strength.
You can find betting lines on the Hawkeyes through any of the offshore sportsbooks listed in this guide.
Sports Betting In Ames, IA
Ames serves as the home of the Iowa State Cyclones. The Cyclones play in the Big 12 Conference, though, unfortunately, are not much of a force. Their basketball program has fared better in the past, but locals are supportive of any team in the athletic program.
Place a wager on the Cyclones through one of our recommended sportsbooks!
Local Sports Teams To Bet On
The focus in Iowa is NCAA sports, especially college football. Here are the local colleges and universities, their conferences, and the sports that they specialize in.
Iowa College Sports Teams
- Iowa Hawkeyes - Big Ten Conference (NCAAF/NCAAB)
- Iowa State Cyclones - Big 12 (NCAAF/NCAAB/Baseball)
- Drake Bulldogs - Missouri Valley Conference (NCAAB/NCAAF)
- Northern Iowa Panthers - Missouri Valley Conference (NCAAF/NCAAB)
Regional Major Sports Hubs
- Minneapolis, MN
- Kansas City, MO
- Chicago, IL
Local Sportsbooks in Iowa
- BetFred Sportsbook: Located in Larchwood, Iowa, at the Grand Falls Casino & Golf Resort, bets can be placed in-person or at 24-hour kiosks.
- Caesars Sportsbook: Praire Meadows Racetrack hosts Ceasars Sportsbook in Altoona, IA.
- Elite Sportsbook: This sportsbook is located in Riverside, Iowa, at the Riverside Casino & Golf Resort eClub. There is also an Elite Sportsbook located inside Grand Falls Resort eClub in Larchwood, IA.
- FanDuel Sportsbook: Northwood, IA, is home to the Diamond Jo Worth Casino, which houses FanDuel Sportsbook.
- PointsBet Sportsbook: Located in Catfish Bend Casino and Fun City Resort in Burlington, Iowa. They are open until 8 PM every night of the week.
Nearby States with Online Sports Betting
- Illinois Sports Betting: IL allows for domestic sports betting via mobile, online, and in-person, and also permits offshore sportsbooks to accept customers.
- Kansas Sports Betting: All forms of sports betting are allowable in KS, including online, mobile, retail, and offshore.
- Nebraska Sports Betting: In-person sports gambling in Nebraska has been made legal, but retail locations have yet to debut.
- Sports Betting In Wisconsin: Two casinos host in-person sportsbooks as of September 2023, but domestic sports betting sites and apps have not yet been legalized.
Frequently Asked Questions About Iowa Sports Betting
With multiple legal avenues for betting on sports in Iowa, you'd have to go out of your way to seek out illegal gambling rings. Offshore online betting has been around for a while and does not violate any of the state's gambling laws - so no risk of arrest there. As far as local betting options, you have a number of state-licensed sportsbooks and online betting apps to choose from.
Gamblers that have reached the age of 21 are permitted to download a legal domestic sports betting application and use it to wager on pro or college games. Mobile sports betting apps that operate offshore can be accessed at the age of 18 by gamblers in Iowa. Offshore sportsbook apps can be used anywhere in IA, and they can be taken into other states and used there as well.
The only team restriction being imposed by Iowa prevents college team, player, and game prop bets. All other types of bets for college teams are allowed. Our recommended online sportsbooks do not have any team restrictions of any kind and allow bets on professional, amateur, and college teams and leagues for domestic and international sports.
Yes! Eight sportsbooks launched on opening day, as did the William Hill mobile app. Now, most of IA's 19 casino venues offer sports wagering, and several other state-regulated online apps are available as well.
Iowa has set the state's legal minimum gambling age to 21. While offshore online sportsbooks accept bettors at age 18 and over, Iowans should be aware of and compliant with the state's regulations.
Iowa NCAAB gamblers can bet on March Madness at domestic (online, mobile, in-person) and offshore (online, mobile) sportsbooks.
We highly suggest using the services of one of the offshore college basketball betting sites featured in the table above for the most tournament game lines and NCAA Basketball prop bets around. They also accept 18+ members, unlike domestic Iowa sportsbooks, which require an age of 21 to enter.
Betting On Football In Iowa In 2023
How To Bet On College Football in Iowa
Every game on the Iowa State Cyclones and Iowa Hawkeyes schedule can be bet on at domestic and offshore college football sportsbook sites. There are also year-round CFP and Conference futures that take action on the eventual National Champion and Big Ten or Big 12 winners. The finest college football betting sites in business today are the offshore variety, as they accept members as young as 18 and allow for Bitcoin betting on NCAAF.
How To Bet On NFL Football In Iowa
No matter where you stand in the United States, NFL football is the most popular gambling and viewing sport. The same is true in Iowa, and betting on the NFL can be done using state-licensed sportsbooks (online, mobile, in-person) or through offshore NFL betting sites, such as the ones you see listed on this page.
How To Bet On The Super Bowl in Iowa in 2023
Gamblers in Iowa can bet on Super Bowl odds by doing business with an offshore sportsbook site or a domestic gambling venue.
Domestic - Online, mobile, and brick-and-mortar sportsbooks are open for business in IA. All of them will offer Super Bowl betting odds to 21+ patrons.
Offshore - International NFL gambling sites offer Super Bowl betting lines to players in Iowa. They are legal to use as young as 18 in IA and will feature many more Super Bowl prop bets than domestic options.
Legislative Timeline of Sports Betting in IA
January 1, 2021 – The state no longer requires registration for accessing domestic sportsbook sites and apps.
August 15, 2019 – Online, mobile, and retail sports betting simultaneously launches in Iowa.
May 13, 2019 - A legal sports betting bill, Senate File 617, is signed into law by Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds.
Additional Iowa Gambling Resources
Compulsive gambling tendencies can show up unexpectedly. We urge all sports bettors to gamble responsibly. For those who find themselves or someone they know struggling with gambling addiction, there is help available. Here is a valuable resource specific to Iowa where individuals can find assistance.