Legal NFL Betting 2023
- Super Bowl LVII: Philadelphia Eagles vs. Kansas City Chiefs
- 2023 Pro Bowl Betting Lines Are Active Now
- International NFL Betting Sites Welcome 18+ Gamblers
NFL football is by far the most bet-upon sport in the United States each year, and the 2022-23 season will be no different with sportsbooks expecting record numbers. Betting on the Super Bowl routinely attracts more wagers than any other single event annually and follows three weeks of heavy betting on the playoffs.
Our legal NFL betting guide is intended to assist prospective football bettors in the USA and around the world, and help them get in on the action with accurate information and easy access.
But what is the best online sportsbook to bet on football games? And is it legal to bet on professional football in the US? Below you’ll find information regarding all vital aspects of legal online betting as well as our recommended list of premium online sportsbooks.
In addition, we’ve also provided a guide that defines all legal NFL bet types that can be placed within the United States, reveals tips and strategies, and numerous statistical resources to help fans place informed wagers on the 2022-23 football season and earn a cash payout.
Bovada Sportsbook #1 NFL Betting Site
- Welcome Bonus of 50% up to $1,000
- Operating From The Legal Jurisdiction Of Costa Rica
- Same Day Payouts with Bitcoin
- Options to Use Venmo, Paypal with Vouchers
- Also Offers Casino, Poker, and Horse Racing
- Wide Selection of Sports Coverage & Wagering Options
- Does Not Accept Players From NJ, NV, DE, NY, or MD
Is Online NFL Betting Legal In The US?
Yes, it is legal to bet on NFL games, and bettors in the USA have two options to do so: Gamblers living within a US state that allows for domestic sportsbooks can simply visit one of these locations and place a bet on their favorite team, players, or props.
Football fans can also legally place bets on NFL teams and games through reputable online sports betting sites operating legally outside of the United States, such as the ones listed on this page.
Placing a wager with an online sports betting site is not prohibited in 49 states or by federal gambling laws, so bettors inside the USA can do so without fear of penalty from any US authority. Washington has enacted laws that prohibit all online gambling, but we've yet to hear of any investigations or arrests being made there.
Where To Bet on NFL Games Legally?
Thanks to the repeal of PASPA in 2018, online sports betting fans in the US have more options than ever for National Football League odds on games, teams, and players. Primarily, there are two legal options for betting on football in the United States without violating federal and state gambling laws:
Where To Bet on NFL Games Online Legally?
There are a few states in the US that offer state-regulated online football betting options. However, every state with the exception of one (WA) allows online sports betting through legal NFL betting sites operating outside of the US. Below is a look at the top online football betting options and their legal status in the United States.
NFL Betting Lines For Each Game
As the 2022-23 season progresses, game lines will be available every week for individual team matchups. Game lines consist of Point spreads, Moneyline odds (Win), and Totals. Below you will find the current game lines for this week's action at the top online sportsbooks in the United States.
NFL Betting Odds: Who Will Win Super Bowl 57?
Online sportsbooks offer numerous odds for the big game including Super Bowl 57 prop bets, futures, and game lines. To make betting on the Super Bowl even easier, sportsbooks offer live and mobile betting options for US account holders.
The NFL's new playoff format was unveiled in 2020 which now allows for 14 total teams to participate. NFL futures odds remain on the boards all year round with lines that are posted prior to the Super Bowl's completion from the prior season.
Initial Super Bowl LVII Betting Line
Philadelphia Eagles vs. Kansas City Chiefs
- Point Spread: PHI -2.5, KC +2.5
- Moneyline: PHI -130, KC +110
- Over/Under: 49.5
Odds To Win Super Bowl LVII
Best Mobile NFL Betting Apps for 2023
The sportsbooks that we recommend in this guide are all USA-friendly and offer mobile the best NFL betting apps that don't require a download. In fact, these mobile sportsbooks also support other football leagues, including CFL betting, Aussie Football betting, and College Football betting
Simply use a current mobile browser (Chrome, Opera, Safari, Google, Firefox) to access one of the mobile sportsbook apps listed below, and your iPhone, iPad, or Android device will become a powerful betting station in the palm of your hand.
The responsive design technology conforms to screen sizes, allows for touch button control, and includes all of the features available from the main website, supporting betting on the go from anywhere with a solid internet connection. Our top recommended mobile sportsbooks all cover sports betting online.
How We Determine the Best NFL Betting Sites for USA Bettors
We've gone through the trouble of putting together a list of top betting sites in the United States for NFL games so you don't have to. We have very high standards and require that betting sites included in our guide are legitimate, secure, and that their performance truly delivers the action that football fans deserve.
Online sports betting should be not only fun but also secure and reliable as well. We only recommend the absolute best football betting sites in our guide. (As a side note, these are the bookmakers each member of our team will be placing our bets at. We only recommend premium betting sites that we ourselves trust with our own money.)
Why The Best Football Betting Sites Operate Outside of the USA
There are state-regulated online sportsbooks in the US providing betting options to bettors physically located inside their borders. When compared to the online NFL sportsbooks we recommend, the state-licensed sportsbooks do end up being labeled as the top betting destinations.
This didn't really surprise us. The football betting sites we feature can boast, in some cases, a head start of decades in the industry as well as regulatory oversight from regions that are much more progressive, supporting a significantly more robust betting experience.
So to give you a little more insight, we provide you with some comparisons between state-regulated sportsbooks and International NFL betting sites. The brands we recommend all operate legally within the international gambling market and legitimately welcome USA bettors. Visit our reviews of legal USA sportsbooks for more information.
State Regulated Betting Sites
- Requires bettors to be physically located within state borders or on casino property.
- Do not support Bitcoin or other cryptocurrency funding and payout options.
- Limited bet types & wagering options compared to international sportsbooks.
- Smaller bonuses that carry difficult terms. Often no bonus offers.
- Often restricts college betting options.
- Rarely offers lines on global sports teams, leagues, events, or athletes.
- Does not offer lines on politics, entertainment, or other niche categories.
Int'l Online NFL Betting Sites
- Bettors can be anywhere there is access to a reliable internet connection.
- Supports BTC and other cryptocurrencies
- Extensive NFL bet types & wagering options available, including custom prop builder tools and live in-play betting.
- Generous bonus offers & promos with reasonable terms and conditions.
- No restrictions on college sports
- Always covers international sports teams, leagues, events, and athletes.
- Offers lines on politics, entertainment, and other niche categories and sports.
NFL Calendar For 2022-2023 Season
- Aug 4, 2022 - Preseason Starts - Hall of Fame Game
- Sept 8, 2022 - Kickoff Game - Beginning of Regular Season
- Jan 14, 2023 - Playoffs Begin
- Feb 5, 2023 - Pro Bowl
- Feb 12, 2023 - Super Bowl LVII - State Farm Stadium, Glendale, Arizona
NFL Teams and Divisions
American Football Conference
National Football Conference
Options for Betting on the NFL
Each April, the NFL Draft occurs, where each team in the league selects collegiate football players to add to their rosters in hopes of future success or continued dominance. Sports betting online can be done year-round with offseason wagering options on the Draft.
Top-rated sportsbooks feature a large selection of options for betting on the NFL Draft, including where an individual player will be selected, what their statistical output will be during their rookie season, and what position a particular franchise will select with their first pick. The only limit to the variety of NFL Draft betting lines that can be offered is the imagination of the oddsmakers.
For those who can't wait to bet on pro football games, Preseason football odds are now available via online sportsbooks. Placing bets on the preseason is a lot different from wagering on regular-season games so we recommend you see our guide to legally betting on the NFL preseason before you put your money down.
This is where the bulk of the betting takes place - the regular season weekly games that many of us plan our lives around. Bettors will find that the weekly action delivers, and naturally includes advanced features such as live NFL betting (in-play betting), prop-building tools for custom bets, and special seasonal bonus offers and promotions.
The playoffs are another exciting part of the year as we start gearing up for the Super Bowl. Our recommended sportsbooks cover legal NFL playoffs betting action very comprehensively and offer all kinds of lines, odds, and wagering options, as well as live betting and custom prop-building tools that allow bettors to create their own prop bets. It is not unheard of to find some special post-season playoff bonuses and promos from time to time either.
Super Bowl Sunday is the climax of any NFL season and a day that is devoted to the year's two best teams. Naturally, there are more options for enjoying legal Super Bowl betting than you can imagine. As online sportsbooks embrace new technology to allow live in-play betting and building your own custom prop bets for the big game, the possibilities are literally endless.
A popular gambling option at online sportsbooks is betting on the NFL MVP. These odds are typically displayed as futures and can yield some serious rewards if you place your bet early.
Betting on the NFL Pro Bowl is just like betting on any other pro football game except that the roster for each team is loaded with superstars. When the Pro Bowl comes around you will find game lines, futures, and props for the star-studded exhibition game.
Betting on the NFL Hall of Fame is another option that bettors have at the start of every football season. Once the nominees are announced betting lines become available at the top online sportsbooks along with a slew of other NFL odds.
After each season concludes, there is often a glut of free agent players on the market that are looking for new teams to bring their talents to. Offshore sportsbooks have taken notice and NFL betting online for free agents includes odds and prop bets that allow for wagers to be made on various success indicators for the player or team, including stats, win totals, and which team the player will end up signing with.
How to Read NFL Odds & Betting Lines
So, you’ve signed up and deposited at a US sportsbook, and now comes the fun part — but oh, wait… what is a parlay or a Super Bowl parlay bet? And what do all these numbers mean? Don’t panic, we’re here to help.
Below you’ll find definitions and examples for each type of bet you can make on the NFL, XFL, FCF, or USFL football league at a sportsbook in the United States. Our guide to how to calculate betting odds or how to line shop are two great resources that clears up any confusion you may have when it comes to sports betting odds.
For further information about the different types of wagers that can be placed on football games at online sports betting sites, visit our guide to legal NFL bet types.
NFL Betting Lines
- NFL Point Spread - Which Team Will Cover the Spread? A set margin for which a favored team is expected to win over the underdog. (ex. Patriots -5, Patriots must win by 6 or more)
- NFL Moneyline - a bet solely on which team will win and odds determine the payout amount (ex. Rams -200, $200 bet wins $100). This is typically the second element of the betting lines.
- NFL Totals (Over/Under) - a number set on the predicted total points scored by both teams in a game and a wager must fall on one of two sides. (ex. Over/Under 49 points, over wins, if 50 or higher and under wins if 48 or lower)
- NFL Prop Bets - a bet on anything not directly affecting the outcome of a game. (ex. NFL player props or team props or unique oddities)
- NFL Live Betting/In-Play Betting - placing a wager on odds or props while the game is currently being played. (ex. 3-point lead in the 3rd quarter, Saints -150)
- NFL Parlays - putting multiple betting lines together to gain better payout but one loss means losing the entire wager (ex. Eagles -7 (-110) + Seahawks +2 (-110) = Two-team parlay +260, $100 wins $260 if both teams cover)
- NFL Teasers - a parlay-style wager where you have the ability to shift the lines to your liking. (ex. Shift spread by 6 points in your favor on a two-team teaser: +100)
- NFL Futures - Long Term Wagers - a bet on the odds made weeks or months in advance to gain a better payout. (ex. June: Odds the Cowboys win the Super Bowl +1500) Or you can place a futures wager on NFL Thanksgiving games before they happen.
Online NFL Sportsbook Bonus Codes For 2023
Most online football betting sites that offer NFL odds will also allow new members to opt-in on free bonus cash by entering a sportsbook promo code when making your first deposit. These bonus offers match a portion of your deposit and add it to your account.
Each NFL sportsbook will feature its own terms and conditions that indicate the rollover requirements. The wagering requirements vary from site to site, so read them before claiming any of the promos.
There is no requirement to accept a sportsbook bonus to join a legal online sportsbook. Below we've listed the current sign-up bonuses being offered at the top football betting sites.
- Bovada Sign Up Bonus: 50% Deposit Match Up To $1000 – Use Bovada Bonus Code BVD1000
- MyBookie Sign Up Bonus: 100% Deposit Match Up To $1000 – Use MyBookie Promo Code MYB100
- BetUS Sign Up Bonus: 125% Deposit Match Up To $3,125 – Use BetUS Promo Code Join125
- Betonline Sign Up Bonus: 50% Deposit Match Up To $1000 - Use Betonline Promo Code BOL1000
NFL Contests For 2023 - Which Sportsbooks Offer Football Contests?
Because pro football betting drives more business than any other sport at offshore gambling sites, there are often football contests that coincide with the beginning of the regular season, playoffs, or during the Super Bowl.
Some seasonal football contests at legal online sportsbooks are free to enter and other entrance fees can grow to $500 or higher depending on the stakes. Some contests last the entire season while others are week-to-week, with cash prizes that can reach six-figures or higher.
Below are the current NFL betting contests that are presented at the top pro football sportsbook sites for the 2022-23 season.
Even though they are the #1 sportsbook on the planet, Bovada is often light on promotion and doesn’t always offer contests for betting on NFL games or Super Bowl winners. Bovada.LV does not have any football betting contests posted at the moment, but we will add them here once they do.
BetOnline $250,000 Perfect Parlay
- Duration: Each week of the NFL regular season from Wednesday afternoon until Sunday at 12:55 PM.
- Rules: Make 16 correct picks for the point spread or the over/under and win $250,000.
- Entry Fee: Free if $50 in bets have been placed at BetOnline within the prior 7 days.
- Prize: $250,000 each week.
BetOnline.AG $50,000 College Bowl Game Pick'Em
- Duration: December 17, 2022 and January 9, 2023.
- Rules: Make as many correct College Football Bowl Game picks ATS as you can.
- Entry Fee: $20
- Prize: $10,000 in rollover free cash! The top 350 finalists finish in the money.
BetOnline $10K NFL Survivor Challenge
- Duration: The entire NFL regular season – one pick each week.
- Rules: Choose a winning team during all 18 weeks of the season without picking the same franchise more than once.
- Entry Fee: Free entries for members that have deposited at least $20 in cryptocurrency.
- Prize: $10,000
- Closed Until 2023-24
BetOnline $150,000 Week 5 Survival Challenge
- Duration: Each week of the NFL regular season between Week 5 and Week 18.
- Rules: Choose winners between Week 5 and 18 of the regular season and win a chance at $150,000.
- Entry Fee: $30, with discounts for multiple entries.
- Prize: $150,000.
- Closed Until 2023-24
MyBookie NFL & College Football Squares – Grid sheets numbered 0-9 for each NFL or college football team in a given game allow for the purchasing of squares that will win cash after each quarter of play if it matches the final digits of the score for each franchise or program. The cost of each square varies depending on the intended prize pool.
MyBookie 10K SuperContest ($15,000 & $17,500 for quarters three and four!)
- Duration: September 15, 2022, through January 2, 2023 (split into four contests).
- Rules: Make 5 correct picks against the point spread per week. Wins are worth a point and pushes are worth a half point. The entrant with the most points per each contest period’s duration will win $10,000.
- Entry Fee: $10 per entry (maximum of 10).
- Prize: $15,000/$17,500 per contest, winner take all.
MyBookie NFL Squares Contest
- Duration: Available for all games
- Rules: A square grid with boxes for 0-9 for each team can be claimed by a MyBookie member. Once claimed, no other members can access the same square. Cash prizes are awarded to the holder of the square that possesses the correct final digit in the score for each team at the end of each quarter of play.
- Entry Fee: Square prices vary depending on total prize pool.
- Prize: 1st quarter - 20% of pool, 2nd quarter - 20%, 3rd quarter - 20%, final score 40%.
MyBookie NFL Survivor Challenges
- Duration: The entire season – entries must be submitted before Week 1 begins. MyBookie often posts multiple survivor contests before each season starts.
- Rules: Pick a winning team each week without choosing the same franchise twice. Losers are disqualified while winning choices keep contestants alive and in the running for cash prizes.
- Entry Fee: $10
- Prize: Bitcoin Survivor Contest = 1 BTC, $100K Survivor Contest = $100,000
- Closed For 2022-23
MyBookie Super Contest
- Duration: September 8th, 2022, through January 8th, 2023.
- Rules: Make five picks against the spread each week of the season. Each win is worth 1 point and a push is worth half of a point. The member with the most points at the end of the contest earns $125,000, with cash prizes going out to the top 500 finishers.
- Entry Fee: $20 per entry.
- Prize: $125,000 for first place, cash prizes for the top 500 finishers.
- Closed For 2022-23
BetUS Parlay Card Challenge
- Duration: Available each week of the 2022-23 NFL season.
- Rules: Each week of the season, submit 6 picks against the spread. The member with the most accumulated points each week will win the prize pool.
- Entry Fee: $5 or $10
- Prize: At least $50/$100.
BetUS School's Out Challenge
- Duration: 12/15 - 1/9/23
- Rules: Pick the most correct College Football Bowl Game picks
- Entry Fee: Free
- Prize: $2,000
$25K Pro Football Pick'Em Contest
- Duration: Each Week of the NFL Season.
- Rules: Correctly pick all NFL games against the spread each week.
- Entry Fee: Free
- Prize: Up to $1,000 each week, $2,500 season's top finisher
BetUS Iron Man Challenge
- Duration: Entire pro and college football season.
- Rules: Bet $5 in the sportsbook and earn a chance in the random drawing.
- Entry Fee: At least one $5 wager that month. 2 entry max.
- Prize: Up to $2,500 in free play, $500 in free play to the entrant with the most winning bets that month.
$25,000 Gridiron Guru Contest
- Duration: All NFL And College Football Season Long
- Rules: Win 15, 20, or 25 bets consecutively to win the $1,000, $5,000, and $10,000 grand prizes.
- Entry Fee: Bet at least $10 on a pro or college football game to enter
- Prize: $1,000, $5,000, or $10,000.
BetUS 12th Man Challenge
- Duration: All NFL Season Long
- Rules: Bet for or against the same NFL team all year long - no winning wagers required.
- Entry Fee: Free.
- Prize: Freeplay cash prizes of $50 (16 weeks), $100 (17 weeks), and $500 (18 weeks).
BetUS NFL Squares
- Duration: Available for each regular season and playoff game.
- Rules: A grid is produced with digits 0 through 9 assigned to each team. Each participant purchases squares on the board until all are acquired. Cash prizes are awarded at the end of each quarter and the game to those that possess the square of the correct final number in each team’s score.
- Entry Fee: Varies
- Prize: 1st Quarter - 12.5% of prize pool, 2nd Quarter - 25%, 3rd Quarter - 12.5%, End of Game - 50%.
BetUS Refer-A-Friend Raffle Challenge
- Duration: Contests offered for each month of the season, playoffs, and the Super Bowl.
- Rules: A winning member is selected at random from all entries.
- Entry Fee: Eligibility is earned once the originating member and the newly referred friend both deposit $100 into their accounts.
- Prize: Gift cards, electronics, game tickets, vacations.
BetUS Survivor Pool Challenge
- Duration: Available each week of the 2022-23 NFL season.
- Rules: Pick a winner each week without regard to point spreads or any other football odds. If your team loses, you’re eliminated from the Survivor Pool Challenge. If your team wins, you move on to the next week where you must choose a different team to win. The same franchise cannot be selected twice during the contest.
- Entry Fee: $10, $25, $50, $100, or $500
- Prize: Entire prize pool.
- Closed until next season.
10K NFL Survivor Contest
- Duration: The entire 2022-23 NFL regular season.
- Rules: Pick a winning team each week of the entire season without selecting the same franchise twice. If your team loses, you’re eliminated from Xbet’s Survivor Contest.
- Entry Fee: $10 (maximum of 10 entries).
- Prize: $10,000.
- Closed Until 2023-24 NFL Season.
$250,000 Perfect NFL Parlay At SportsBetting.AG
- Duration: Each weekend of the entire regular season.
- Rules: Make 16 correct picks for the point spread or the over/under and win $250,000.
- Entry Fee: Free if $50 in bets have been placed at SportsBetting.AG within the prior 7 days.
- Prize: $250,000 each week.
$50,000 College Bowl Pick'Em
- Duration: Enter by December 17th.
- Rules: Correctly pick NCAAF bowl game winners against the spread.
- Entry Fee: First Entry $20, Second and Final Entry $10.
- Prize: $50,000 grand prize.
Deposit & Payout Options for USA Sportsbooks
Below is a list of the most common deposit and payout methods that bettors can expect to find at the best NFL betting sites.
- Online Sports Betting Deposit Options: Cryptocurrency (Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Cardano, Solana, Litecoin, Tether, etc.), Debit/Credit Cards (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover), International Gift Cards, Cashier's Checks, Bank Wire Transfers, Money Orders, eChecks, Sports Betting Vouchers, MatchPay Transactions (PayPal, Venmo, Cash App, Zelle, Apple Pay, etc.), Retail Money Transfers, Ria Money Transfers
- Online Sports Betting Payout Options: Cryptocurrency, Courier Checks, Bank Wire Transfers, Money Orders, Sports Betting Vouchers, MatchPay Transactions
Our guide to sports betting deposits and payouts goes into further detail on all of these funding options (and many more!), including how they all work at the leading online sportsbooks.
How Fast Do Online Sportsbooks Payout Your Winnings?
Each sportsbook you see listed on this page varies slightly in the transaction processing times available when requesting a payout, ranging from a few hours to over a week depending on which method you choose to use.
The best option for same-day sportsbook payouts is cryptocurrency. Depending on how busy the blockchain is, crypto sportsbook payouts are completed anywhere from 15 minutes up to 24 hours (it typically falls at the 2-3-hour mark). There are also some non-crypto withdrawal methods that will occasionally be processed within the same day. Here's a breakdown of the available options and their processing times:
As you can see when you compare these sportsbook banking options, requesting crypto, voucher, P2P, or Matchpay payouts at online NFL betting sites carries specific benefits. Learn more by reading our page dedicated to the fastest paying sportsbooks.
The Benefits Of Betting on NFL Games Online
There are some key benefits inherent with online betting that retail sportsbooks simply cannot compete with. These perks are actually not applicable to NFL betting specifically, but rather to online sports gambling in general. Since we are here discussing the most bet on sport for American sports fans, we'll focus on the advantages online football betting brings to fans.
Wider Range of Betting Lines and Wagering Options:
Retail sportsbooks stop accepting wagers right before kickoff whereas sports betting sites accept action throughout the game. Live betting on NFL games is a huge reason that online betting draws so many gamblers to the web. Couple that with the customer prop builder tools and prop bets in general and the brick-and-mortar sportsbooks can't hold a candle to the online betting sites.
Being able to place bets on football games, teams, and players 24/7 from anywhere that you have a cellular or internet connection is about as convenient as it gets. Not having to carve out time to visit a retail sportsbook, which in many cases isn't even in the same state as you, gives online sportsbooks a pretty advantageous position. The sportsbooks we feature also do not have geofencing regulations that require bettors to be in a specific location.
Using Bitcoin to Place Your Bets:
Retail sportsbooks in the US do not support Bitcoin or other altcoins for funding your betting action. In fact, most state-regulated online and mobile sportsbooks don't either. The legit online sportsbooks you see listed on this page all support BTC deposits and payouts, as well as multiple other crypto options. Using crypto at online sportsbooks allows you to request same-day payouts and provides you with access to enhanced bonus offers and promotions.
- Shopping The Lines For Competitive NFL Odds: Placing your bets online allows you to shop for the most competitive odds quickly so that you can lay your action on the best possible betting lines. This is next to impossible at retail sportsbooks and is one reason we recommend creating a profile at multiple online sportsbooks.
- NFL Sportsbook Bonuses & Promotions: We've yet to see any retail sportsbooks that can consistently compete with the various promos and bonuses that the online sportsbooks are able to offer their customers during football season. The online bookmakers often sweeten the pot with some seasonal special promotions during the playoffs and Super Bowl.
NFL Betting Tips, Tricks, and Strats
Whether you’re new to betting on the playoffs bracket, betting on the games, or are already a pro handicapper, here are some football and Super Bowl betting tips you should consider employing when Sunday comes around.
The first step to having any sort of success with wagering money on football at the best sports betting sites is to treat it like your own personal bank account, and the goal is to not go bankrupt and be responsible. Whatever you deposit, bet only 1-3% (based on confidence) of your total bankroll on any given line. This allows you to have more bets and minimize losses over the long term.
If you have some knowledge of computer programming, then you might consider creating a projection model based on a variety of statistics from the past to gain perspective on NFL betting odds. With a model, you can spot value much easier and as a result, greatly increase the chances that you win your wager.
Shop the odds
The amount of action coming in on a betting line will differ from sportsbook to sportsbook, but you can use this to your advantage. After you determine what betting line has value, you see that Site A has a +120 betting line and Site B has the exact same line at +135. With a $100 bet, you net an additional $15 with Site B even though the lines are identical, which is why once you’ve found value, it’s crucial to shop the lines for the best sportsbook payouts.
Let’s say you bet $100 on Team A’s +500 odds to win it all before the start of the NFL playoffs and they made it to the Super Bowl. However, why walk away with nothing when you could have guaranteed money.
That’s why you should hedge your bet in this scenario, which essentially means betting on the opposite team to guarantee a profit. If you put $100 on Team A +500 and Team B is favored on the money line at -175, then a $400 bet would give you a guaranteed profit of $118.08 regardless of which team wins
Fading the public
Studies have shown that when 80% of the public money is bet on the favored team in a traditional point spread, then the underdog wins the bet 56% of the time. This means that if you only bet on the underdog when the public has put 4/5th of all action on the favorite, you will see a return on investment (ROI) of around 3% (juice dependent) over an extended period of time.
For more tips and tricks, see our NFL Betting Strategy guide for an in-depth look on how to make smart bets.
How To Bet On NFL Games Online
Betting on NFL games with one of our preferred online sportsbooks first requires membership. Before joining, we invite everyone to read through our detailed sports betting site reviews to find out what each has to offer and learn if they accept members in your state.
It also benefits to belong to more than one NFL betting site so that the pro football odds can be shopped for higher potential cash winnings. After you've decided which online NFL sportsbooks you intend to join, take the following steps:
- Visit the online sportsbook's homepage via any link we've included here in this guide. Locate the join button at the top of the screen and click it.
- Create a sportsbook login and verify your new account.
- Make your first deposit and consider a sportsbook bonus offer that will match a percentage of the transaction total.
- Once accounts are loaded with betting cash, click on the sportsbook tab and then the football or NFL tab for the latest odds and lines.
NFL Betting FAQs
If you can find a reputable data provider, NFL public betting information can be useful. The percentage of total wagers wagered, and total number of dollars bet against the spread, on the moneyline, or the over/under, are revealed, allowing gamblers the choice of going with or against the grain.
While there are several advising services out there that offer NFL betting tips, the best bets are found through sound research. A thorough investigation of the historical performance against the spread, head-to-head totals, injury status, weather, and any other element that can factor into an NFL game is the best way to inform a pro football bet. This takes time, but it is easy to get the hang of after a season or two.
The National Football League is the only major professional sports league in the United States that continues to vehemently oppose sports betting even though the federal ban has been lifted. Despite other league’s flip-flopping following the Supreme Court decision — then partnering with state-regulated sportsbook brands they originally opposed — NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has not changed his view in regards to placing wagers on professional football games during his tenure, which began in 2006.
While Goodell’s stance on sports betting hasn’t changed, it certainly looks like the NFL is warming up to the idea of gambling and sports betting, eventually. Not only has America’s most popular pro sports league inked a deal with Caesars to become its first official casino sponsor (not a sportsbook sponsorship), but individual teams have even struck sponsorship deals with casinos with sportsbooks after franchise owners voted to lift the self-imposed gambling partnership prohibition.
When the 2020 NFL regular season kicks off, the Raiders — one of the league’s most historic and beloved franchises — will call Las Vegas Stadium their new home, where the official naming rights are expected to go to the highest bidding casino.
Online sportsbooks are eager for your business and provide bonus cash offers to new members that match a portion of an initial or reload deposit. A typical bonus offer will look something like this: 50% match of up to $250. In this offer, the sportsbook will match 50% of a deposit up to a maximum of $250. There are also terms and conditions that include wagering requirements. To learn more about how these offers work, visit our sportsbook bonus page for more detail and insight.
Domestic online NFL betting sites tend to require a minimum age of 21, but a few of them allow 18-year-old gamblers to partake. The online sports betting sites that we recommend on this page for NFL gambling operate from within a legal international jurisdiction and most of them permit 18 and over customers to join.
For American bettors, NFL bets can be placed at domestic sportsbooks or at online betting sites operating legitimately outside of the US.
Online sportsbooks do offer some advantages over state-regulated books, such as 24-hour access, promotional offers that add bonus cash to bettors' bankrolls, and a much wide selection of sports coverage. Check out our list of preferred NFL betting sites for the best options on the web.
No, NFL players are not allowed to bet on games as long as they are employed by the league. Harsh punishments will be delivered to any player that places a wager on NFL games, including permanent bans.
Naturally betting action on the NFL is at its height during the regular and post-season periods, culminating in the Super Bowl being the most bet on sports event all year.
However, futures odds allow football fans to place bets on the NFL all year. Futures odds are riskier, but carry the best payouts in most cases. You can literally bet on the next winner of the Super Bowl the day after the game takes place.
Betting Resources: NFL Stats & Scores
Whether you’ve decided to create a projection model or just want to keep track of the odds on game day, here are some great resources to help you when analyzing NFL betting trends and placing a wager on games, teams, or players.