Legal NFL Betting 2023
- Super Bowl LVIII: February 11, 2024, In Las Vegas' Allegiant Stadium
- Kansas City Chiefs & Philadelphia Eagles Top Current Super Bowl Odds
- Usher Will Perform The Super Bowl 58 Halftime Show
NFL football is by far the most bet-upon sport in the United States each year, and the 2023-24 season will be no different, with sportsbooks expecting record numbers. Betting on the Super Bowl routinely attracts more wagers than any other single event annually and follows three weeks of heavy betting on the playoffs.
Our legal NFL betting guide is intended to assist prospective football bettors in the USA and around the world and help them get in on the action with accurate information and easy access.
But what is the best online sportsbook to bet on football games? And is it legal to bet on professional football in the US? Below you’ll find information regarding all vital aspects of legal online betting as well as our recommended list of premium online sportsbooks.
In addition, we’ve also provided a guide that defines all legal NFL bet types that can be placed within the United States, reveals tips and strategies, and numerous statistical resources to help fans place informed wagers on the 2023-24 football season and earn a cash payout.
Bovada Sportsbook #1 NFL Betting Site
- Welcome Bonus of 50% up to $1,000
- Operating From The Legal Jurisdiction Of Costa Rica
- Same Day Payouts with Bitcoin
- Options to Use Venmo, Paypal with Vouchers
- Also Offers Casino, Poker, and Horse Racing
- Wide Selection of Sports Coverage & Wagering Options
- Does Not Accept Players From NJ, NV, DE, NY, or MD
Is Online NFL Betting Legal In The US?
Yes, it is legal to bet on NFL games, and bettors in the USA have two options to do so: Gamblers living within a US state that allows for domestic sportsbooks can simply visit one of these locations and place a bet on their favorite team, players, or props.
Football fans can also legally place bets on NFL teams and games through reputable online sports betting sites operating legally outside of the United States, such as the ones listed on this page.
Placing a wager with an online sports betting site is not prohibited in 49 states or by federal gambling laws, so bettors inside the USA can do so without fear of penalty from any US authority. Washington has enacted laws that prohibit all online gambling, but we've yet to hear of any investigations or arrests being made there.
Where To Bet on NFL Games Legally?
Thanks to the repeal of PASPA in 2018, online sports betting fans in the US have more options than ever for National Football League odds on games, teams, and players. Primarily, there are two legal options for betting on football in the United States without violating federal and state gambling laws:
Where To Bet on NFL Games Online Legally?
There are a few states in the US that offer state-regulated online football betting options. However, every state with the exception of one (WA) allows online sports betting through legal NFL betting sites operating outside of the US. Below is a look at the top online football betting options and their legal status in the United States.
Examples Of NFL Betting Lines
As the 2023-24 season progresses, game lines will be available every week for individual team matchups. Game lines consist of Point spreads, Moneyline odds (Win), and Totals. Below you will find the current game lines for this week's action at the top online sportsbooks in the United States.
NFL Betting Odds: Who Will Win Super Bowl 58?
Online sportsbooks offer numerous odds for the big game, including Super Bowl 58 prop bets, futures, and game lines. To make betting on the Super Bowl even easier, sportsbooks offer live and mobile betting options for US account holders.
The NFL's new playoff format was unveiled in 2020, which now allows for 14 total teams to participate. NFL futures odds remain on the boards all year round with lines that are posted prior to the Super Bowl's completion from the prior season.
Potential Super Bowl LVIII Betting Line
San Francisco 49ers vs. Kansas City Chiefs
- Point Spread: SF -2.5, KC +2.5
- Moneyline: SF -130, KC +110
- Over/Under: 59.5
Best Mobile NFL Betting Apps for 2023
The sportsbooks that we recommend in this guide are all USA-friendly and offer mobile the best NFL betting apps that don't require a download. In fact, these mobile sportsbooks also support other football leagues, including CFL betting, Aussie Football betting, and College Football betting
Simply use a current mobile browser (Chrome, Opera, Safari, Google, Firefox) to access one of the mobile sportsbook apps listed below, and your iPhone, iPad, or Android device will become a powerful betting station in the palm of your hand.
The responsive design technology conforms to screen sizes, allows for touch button control, and includes all of the features available from the main website, supporting betting on the go from anywhere with a solid internet connection. Our top recommended mobile sportsbooks all cover sports betting online.
2023-24 NFL Schedule
- Season Begins September 7th
- NFL Playoffs Begin January 13th, 2024
- NFL Pro Bowl: February 4, 2024
- Super Bowl LVII: February 11, 2024
- Teams TBA
- Halftime Show Performer: Usher
- National Anthem: TBA
How We Determine the Best NFL Betting Sites for USA Bettors
We've gone through the trouble of putting together a list of top betting sites in the United States for NFL games so you don't have to. We have very high standards and require that betting sites included in our guide are legitimate, secure, and that their performance truly delivers the action that football fans deserve.
Online sports betting should be not only fun but also secure and reliable as well. We only recommend the absolute best football betting sites in our guide. (As a side note, these are the bookmakers each member of our team will be placing our bets at. We only recommend premium betting sites that we ourselves trust with our own money.)
Why The Best Football Betting Sites Operate Outside of the USA
There are state-regulated online sportsbooks in the US providing betting options to bettors physically located inside their borders. When compared to the online NFL sportsbooks we recommend, the state-licensed sportsbooks do end up being labeled as the top betting destinations.
This didn't really surprise us. The football betting sites we feature can boast, in some cases, a head start of decades in the industry as well as regulatory oversight from regions that are much more progressive, supporting a significantly more robust betting experience.
So to give you a little more insight, we provide you with some comparisons between state-regulated sportsbooks and International NFL betting sites. The brands we recommend all operate legally within the international gambling market and legitimately welcome USA bettors. Visit our reviews of legal USA sportsbooks for more information.
State Regulated Betting Sites
- Requires bettors to be physically located within state borders or on casino property.
- Do not support Bitcoin or other cryptocurrency funding and payout options.
- Limited bet types & wagering options compared to international sportsbooks.
- Smaller bonuses that carry difficult terms. Often no bonus offers.
- Often restricts college betting options.
- Rarely offers lines on global sports teams, leagues, events, or athletes.
- Does not offer lines on politics, entertainment, or other niche categories.
Int'l Online NFL Betting Sites
- Bettors can be anywhere there is access to a reliable internet connection.
- Supports BTC and other cryptocurrencies
- Extensive NFL bet types & wagering options available, including custom prop builder tools and live in-play betting.
- Generous bonus offers & promos with reasonable terms and conditions.
- No restrictions on college sports
- Always covers international sports teams, leagues, events, and athletes.
- Offers lines on politics, entertainment, and other niche categories and sports.
NFL Teams and Divisions
American Football Conference
National Football Conference
Options for Betting on the NFL
How to Read NFL Odds & Betting Lines
So, you’ve signed up and deposited at a US sportsbook, and now comes the fun part — but oh, wait… what is a parlay or a Super Bowl parlay bet? And what do all these numbers mean? Don’t panic, we’re here to help.
Below you’ll find definitions and examples for each type of bet you can make on the NFL, XFL, FCF, or USFL football league at a sportsbook in the United States. Our guide to how to calculate betting odds or how to line shop are two great resources that clears up any confusion you may have when it comes to sports betting odds.
For further information about the different types of wagers that can be placed on football games at online sports betting sites, visit our guide to legal NFL bet types.
NFL Betting Lines
- NFL Point Spread - Which Team Will Cover the Spread? A set margin for which a favored team is expected to win over the underdog. (ex. Patriots -5, Patriots must win by 6 or more). This is typically the first element of any NFL betting line.
- NFL Moneyline - a bet solely on which team will win, and odds determine the payout amount (ex. Rams -200, $200 bet wins $100). This is typically the second element of the betting lines. This will usually be the second part of an NFL betting line.
- NFL Totals (Over/Under) - a number set on the predicted total points scored by both teams in a game, and a wager must fall on one of two sides. (ex. Over/Under 49 points, over wins if 50 or higher, and under wins if 48 or lower). The over/under total will typically be placed at the end of an NFL betting line.
- NFL Prop Bets - a bet on NFL odds for anything not directly affecting the outcome of a game. (ex. NFL player props or team props or unique oddities)
- NFL Live Betting/In-Play Betting - placing a wager on NFL odds or props while the game is currently being played. (ex. 3-point lead in the 3rd quarter, Saints -150)
- NFL Parlays - putting multiple betting lines together to gain better payout, but one loss means losing the entire wager (ex. Eagles -7 (-110) + Seahawks +2 (-110) = Two-team parlay +260, $100 wins $260 if both teams cover)
- NFL Teasers - a parlay-style wager where you have the ability to shift the NFL betting lines to your liking. (ex. Shift spread by 6 points in your favor on a two-team teaser: +100)
- NFL Futures - Long-Term Wagers - a bet on the odds made weeks or months in advance to gain a better payout. (ex. June: Odds the Cowboys win the Super Bowl +1500) Or you can place a futures wager on NFL Thanksgiving games before they happen.
Online NFL Sportsbook Bonus Codes For 2023
Most online football betting sites that offer NFL odds will also allow new members to opt-in on free bonus cash by entering a sportsbook promo code when making your first deposit. These bonus offers match a portion of your deposit and add it to your account.
Each NFL sportsbook will feature its own terms and conditions that indicate the rollover requirements. The wagering requirements vary from site to site, so read them before claiming any of the promos.
There is no requirement to accept a sportsbook bonus to join a legal online sportsbook. Below we've listed the current sign-up bonuses being offered at the top football betting sites.
- Bovada Sign Up Bonus: 50% Deposit Match Up To $1000 – Use Bovada Bonus Code BVD1000
- MyBookie Sign Up Bonus: 100% Deposit Match Up To $1000 – Use MyBookie Promo Code MYB100
- BetUS Sign Up Bonus: 125% Deposit Match Up To $3,125 – Use BetUS Promo Code Join125
- Betonline Sign Up Bonus: 50% Deposit Match Up To $1000 - Use Betonline Promo Code BOL1000
NFL Contests For 2023 - Which Sportsbooks Offer Football Contests?
Because pro football betting drives more business than any other sport at offshore gambling sites, there are often football contests that coincide with the beginning of the regular season, playoffs, or during the Super Bowl.
Some seasonal football contests at legal online sportsbooks are free to enter, and other entrance fees can grow to $500 or higher depending on the stakes. Some contests last the entire season, while others are week-to-week, with cash prizes that can reach six figures or higher.
Below are the current NFL betting contests that are presented at the top pro football sportsbook sites for the 2023-24 season.
Deposit & Payout Options for USA Sportsbooks
Below is a list of the most common deposit and payout methods that bettors can expect to find at the best NFL betting sites.
- Online Sports Betting Deposit Options: Cryptocurrency (Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Cardano, Solana, Litecoin, Tether, etc.), Debit/Credit Cards (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover), International Gift Cards, Cashier's Checks, Bank Wire Transfers, Money Orders, eChecks, Sports Betting Vouchers, MatchPay Transactions (PayPal, Venmo, Cash App, Zelle, Apple Pay, etc.), Retail Money Transfers, Ria Money Transfers
- Online Sports Betting Payout Options: Cryptocurrency, Courier Checks, Bank Wire Transfers, Money Orders, Sports Betting Vouchers, MatchPay Transactions
Our guide to sports betting deposits and payouts goes into further detail on all of these funding options (and many more!), including how they all work at the leading online sportsbooks.
How Fast Do Online Sportsbooks Payout Your Winnings?
Each sportsbook you see listed on this page varies slightly in the transaction processing times available when requesting a payout, ranging from a few hours to over a week depending on which method you choose to use.
The best option for same-day sportsbook payouts is cryptocurrency. Depending on how busy the blockchain is, crypto sportsbook payouts are completed anywhere from 15 minutes up to 24 hours (it typically falls at the 2-3-hour mark). There are also some non-crypto withdrawal methods that will occasionally be processed within the same day. Here's a breakdown of the available options and their processing times:
As you can see when you compare these sportsbook banking options, requesting crypto, voucher, P2P, or Matchpay payouts at online NFL betting sites carries specific benefits. Learn more by reading our page dedicated to the fastest paying sportsbooks.
The Benefits Of Betting on NFL Games Online
There are some key benefits inherent with online betting that retail sportsbooks simply cannot compete with. These perks are actually not applicable to NFL betting specifically but rather to online sports gambling in general. Since we are here discussing the most bet on sport for American sports fans, we'll focus on the advantages online football betting brings to fans.
Wider Range of NFL Betting Lines and Wagering Options:
Retail sportsbooks stop accepting wagers right before kickoff, whereas sports betting sites accept action throughout the game. Live betting on NFL games is a huge reason that online betting draws so many gamblers to the web. Couple that with the customer prop builder tools and prop bets in general, and the brick-and-mortar sportsbooks can't hold a candle to the online betting sites.
Being able to place NFL bets on games, teams, and players 24/7 from anywhere that you have a cellular or internet connection is about as convenient as it gets. Not having to carve out time to visit a retail sportsbook, which in many cases isn't even in the same state as you, gives online sportsbooks a pretty advantageous position. The sportsbooks we feature also do not have geofencing regulations that require bettors to be in a specific location.
Using Bitcoin to Place Your Bets:
Retail sportsbooks in the US do not support Bitcoin or other altcoins for funding your betting action. In fact, most state-regulated online and mobile sportsbooks don't either. The legit online sportsbooks you see listed on this page all support BTC deposits and payouts, as well as multiple other crypto options. Using crypto at online sportsbooks allows you to request same-day payouts and provides you with access to enhanced bonus offers and promotions.
- Shopping The Lines For Competitive NFL Odds: Placing your bets online allows you to shop for the most competitive odds quickly so that you can lay your action on the best possible betting lines. This is next to impossible at retail sportsbooks and is one reason we recommend creating a profile at multiple online sportsbooks.
- NFL Sportsbook Bonuses & Promotions: We've yet to see any retail sportsbooks that can consistently compete with the various promos and bonuses that the online sportsbooks are able to offer their customers during football season. The online bookmakers often sweeten the pot with some seasonal special promotions during the playoffs and Super Bowl.
NFL Betting Tips, Tricks, and Strats
Whether you’re new to betting on the playoffs bracket, betting on the games, or are already a pro handicapper, here are some football and Super Bowl betting tips you should consider employing when Sunday comes around.
The first step to having any sort of success with wagering money on football at the best sports betting sites is to treat it like your own personal bank account, and the goal is to not go bankrupt and be responsible. Whatever you deposit, bet only 1-3% (based on confidence) of your total bankroll on any given line. This allows you to have more bets and minimize losses over the long term.
If you have some knowledge of computer programming, then you might consider creating a projection model based on a variety of statistics from the past to gain perspective on NFL betting odds. With a model, you can spot value much easier and as a result, greatly increase the chances that you win your wager.
Shop the odds
The amount of action coming in on a betting line will differ from sportsbook to sportsbook, but you can use this to your advantage. After you determine what betting line has value, you see that Site A has a +120 betting line and Site B has the exact same line at +135. With a $100 bet, you net an additional $15 with Site B even though the lines are identical, which is why once you’ve found value, it’s crucial to shop the lines for the best sportsbook payouts.
Let’s say you bet $100 on Team A’s +500 odds to win it all before the start of the NFL playoffs and they made it to the Super Bowl. However, why walk away with nothing when you could have guaranteed money.
That’s why you should hedge your bet in this scenario, which essentially means betting on the opposite team to guarantee a profit. If you put $100 on Team A +500 and Team B is favored on the money line at -175, then a $400 bet would give you a guaranteed profit of $118.08 regardless of which team wins
Fading the public
Studies have shown that when 80% of the public money is bet on the favored team in a traditional point spread, then the underdog wins the bet 56% of the time. This means that if you only bet on the underdog when the public has put 4/5th of all action on the favorite, you will see a return on investment (ROI) of around 3% (juice dependent) over an extended period of time.
For more tips and tricks, see our NFL Betting Strategy guide for an in-depth look on how to make smart bets.
How To Bet On NFL Games Online
Betting on NFL games with one of our preferred online sportsbooks first requires membership. Before joining, we invite everyone to read through our detailed sports betting site reviews to find out what each has to offer and learn if they accept members in your state.
It also benefits to belong to more than one NFL betting site so that the pro football odds can be shopped for higher potential cash winnings. After you've decided which online NFL sportsbooks you intend to join, take the following steps:
- Visit the online sportsbook's homepage via any link we've included here in this guide. Locate the join button at the top of the screen and click it.
- Create a sportsbook login and verify your new account.
- Make your first deposit and consider a sportsbook bonus offer that will match a percentage of the transaction total.
- Once accounts are loaded with betting cash, click on the sportsbook tab and then the football or NFL tab for the latest odds and lines.
How To Watch Super Bowl 58
Date: February 11, 2024
Location: Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, Nevada
Time: 6:30 PM
Halftime Show: Usher
NFL Betting FAQs
Betting Resources: NFL Stats & Scores
Whether you’ve decided to create a projection model or just want to keep track of the odds on game day, here are some great resources to help you when analyzing NFL betting trends and placing a wager on games, teams, or players.