Legal NFL Draft Betting
Toward the end of April each year, all 32 teams in the National Football League gear up to select college players to add to their rosters in hopes of paving the way for potential Super Bowl championships.
The NFL Draft has risen in popularity over the last 30 years, graduating from smokey conference rooms to the nation’s marquee arenas. It’s only natural that betting on the NFL Draft has matched that rising trend and become a major phenomenon in its own right.
Now sportsbooks both online and off are providing a variety of NFL betting odds that include the lines for each year's Draft. But is it legal? Yes, it is, and we’ll cover the legalities of it later in this guide. We’ll also reveal where to find the best sportsbooks to bet on the NFL Draft and provide step-by-step instructions for signing up and placing your wagers. Remember, when you bet on the Draft, you’ve got the first pick, and we'll help you avoid selecting a bust.
Is It Legal To Bet On The NFL Draft?
Yes, NFL prop bets, futures, and more can be wagered on as long as you place your bet at a domestic or online sportsbook that is operating legally. If visiting a domestic sportsbook is not a feasible option, then an offshore betting site is available to accept your NFL Draft bet 24 hours a day from almost anywhere in the United States.
Thankfully there are no US federal gambling laws that prohibit football fans from placing bets at online sports betting sites that are operating legally outside of the USA's jurisdiction. These sites accept bettors from most states, so they are a great option for legally betting on the NFL Draft. Visit the gambling laws section in our top menu for the full spectrum of state and federal sports betting regulations.
Best 2022 NFL Draft Betting Sites
How To Bet On The NFL Draft At An Online Sportsbook
Prior to placing a wager on the NFL Draft with an offshore sportsbook, you'll need to sign up for a membership and make your initial deposit into your bankroll. This will require a few simple steps, which are detailed below.
- Check out the top-rated sportsbooks listed here, and pick one or more. We recommend joining several sites so you can shop lines between them and choose the odds with the biggest payouts. The “Join” button will usually be at the top right of the page. Tap or click this button.
- This leads you to a page where you’ll need to enter your name and address and create a login and password. Make sure to use your real information, as offshore books use Know Your Customer (KYC) best practices. This data is secured behind top-of-the-line SSL encryption and is never sold to or shared with third parties.
- The next page will ask for your initial deposit, and most books accept wire transfers, major credit and debit cards, money orders, cashier’s checks, and Bitcoin/crypto. Bitcoin (BTC) is our preferred method. Online sportsbooks each offer different bonuses that match a percentage of your first deposit, so read the details and accept a bonus only if you understand the full terms and conditions. Bonuses aren’t for everyone! **Note - you don't have to deposit any money until you are ready to place your bets.
- Once you've got your deposit settled, navigate to the NFL Football section of your sportsbook, and locate the NFL Draft odds. The betting lines for Draft Day will typically be found under an NFL Futures tab.
- Make your picks, just like the teams on the clock.
- Watch the NFL Draft, and celebrate your winnings when your bet pays off! Now, let’s just hope the team’s bet pays off, too…
What Type Of Bets Can I Place On The NFL Draft?
The only limit to the amount and type of odds that can be placed on the NFL Draft are the imaginations of the oddsmakers. There are seven rounds with a total of 224 selections in the draft, so pump those numbers into your calculators, and you'll see that the possibilities for betting on the NFL and its marquee selection day are nearly infinite.
Below are some examples of the more intriguing betting lines that we’ve seen so far in 2020. You can learn more about NFL wagering options here.
2022 NFL Draft Odds
NFL Betting occurs year-round, but most futures bets won't payout at least until the season begins in September. That's why the NFL Draft betting options that appear at popular sportsbooks each spring serve as an oasis for pro football gamblers who are thirsty for more action.
The NFL Draft odds for last year are posted below as an example, and will be updated once 2022 futures are revealed. We expect more to be unveiled as the end of April approaches.
- Trevor Lawrence -100000
- Zach Wilson +1800
- Justin Fields +2000
- Trey Lance +8000
2020 NFL Draft Prop Bets
The following betting lines expired when the 2020 Draft concluded, but serve as an example of what will be offered each spring.
2020 NFL Draft Prop Bets
2020 NFL Draft Specials
What Is The NFL Draft
The NFL Draft is an event dedicated to the selection of college football players by National Football League teams. Each of the NFL's 32 teams has one pick in each of the seven rounds of the Draft, and the teams are placed in order of how they finished the previous season, from worst to first. The league's worst team last year will select first in the upcoming draft and will continue to do so in each corresponding round.
Teams can also trade draft picks for other picks or for the rights to current players. The first few players chosen in the Draft are typically on-site for a photo op with the jersey and hat of their new team and a quick interview on television.
Generally, draft coverage lasts for three days, creating for several hours of betting potential. Root for your hometown favorite or cross your fingers that your nemesis picks a bust. The odds are that the NFL Draft is going to be a top betting option for years to come.
2022 NFL Draft Information
- Broadcast: NFL Network, ESPN, ABC
- Round 1: Thursday, April 28 – 8 PM
- Rounds 2-3: Friday, April 29 – 7 PM
- Rounds 4-7: Saturday, April 30 – Noon
2022 NFL Draft Order