Betting On NBA Christmas Games
The NBA regular season always begins around the holidays, so ‘tis the season for betting on NBA Christmas games as there are several featured throughout the afternoon of December 25th each year. The NBA TV schedule on Christmas Day dominates the airwaves and offers up juicy matchups that inspire attractive NBA betting odds.
If you want to earn a little extra spending cash for the holidays, then continue on to learn more about legal options for betting on the NBA games on Christmas Day, what teams will be playing, and a few NBA betting tips to give readers an edge on how to slam dunk the odds.
Is Betting On NBA Christmas Day Games Legal?
Yes. NBA bettors in the United States have two options for placing a wager on Christmas Day NBA games, domestic and international.
- Domestic – Many US States allow domestic sportsbooks to exist inside of their borders. If you are in or near one of those states, visit one of their venues and bet on the Christmas basketball games the NBA has to offer.
- International – Because there are no federal gambling laws that prevent overseas sportsbooks from accepting bets from patrons inside the United States over the Internet, no laws are being broken when stateside gamblers wager on NBA basketball on Christmas Day using one of the sportsbooks recommended in the table below.
For information on US gambling regulations, please visit the Laws section of our website linked off the top menu.
2020 NBA Christmas Schedule
- 12:10 PM EST on ESPN - New Orleans Pelicans @ Miami Heat
- 2:40 PM EST on ABC - Golden State Warriors @ Milwaukee Bucks
- 5:10 PM EST on ABC - Brooklyn Nets @ Boston Celtics
- 8:10 PM EST on ESPN - Dallas Mavericks @ Los Angeles Lakers
- 10:40 PM EST on ESPN - Los Angeles Clippers @ Denver Nuggets
NBA Christmas Day NBA Odds
Now that the schedule for the 2020-21 NBA Season has been released, oddsmakers have created odds for the NBA's Christmas Day games. Below, we have posted the latest NBA Christmas betting lines for 2020 from the top legal NBA betting sites.
NBA Christmas Games History
Because the NBA has such an exclusive viewing audience on Christmas Day, the league puts their best foot forward, often delivering compelling matchups of top teams and fierce rivals.
Several big games on Christmas Day in the early 1980s propelled the tradition to prominence, and major NBA matchups have become a routine feature of Xmas afternoons each year, including rematches from the prior year’s NBA Playoffs.
Previous NBA Christmas highlights include:
- 1990s: Every Christmas except for one showcased a matchup of the New York Knicks vs. the Chicago Bulls featuring the legendary Michael Jordan.
- 2004: Los Angeles Lakers vs. Miami Heat - The first matchup of Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal following Shaq’s departure from the Los Angeles Lakers.
- 2009: Los Angeles Lakers vs. Cleveland Cavaliers – LeBron James vs. Kobe Bryant.
- 2010: Los Angeles Lakers vs. Miami Heat – Kobe Bryant vs. LeBron James on his new team after taking his talents to Miami.
- The home team wins at a rate of nearly two-to-one, something to keep in mind when placing a bet on Christmas NBA odds.
Mobile Betting Apps For Christmas Day NBA Odds
If you’re travelling for the holidays and can’t get to your personal computer or laptop to bet on Christmas NBA odds, don’t sweat it. The mobile betting apps from our top sports betting sites have got you covered for NBA Christmas betting from just about anywhere in the USA with an Internet connection.
You don’t have to download anything either. Just click on one of the links in the table above using an up-to-date mobile browser and your mobile smartphone or tablet (iPad, iPhone, Android) will be placing bets on Christmas NBA games in seconds, and can also access the full sportsbook site as well as their robust selection of casino games.
Best NBA Christmas Day Bets
There is no shortage of options offered at top-rated offshore sportsbooks when it comes to professional basketball odds, but the Christmas Day NBA betting trends tend to revolve around the point spread, the money line, and the over/under. Each of these NBA bet types, including the ever-popular basketball prop bets, are described below.
- Point Spread – The amount of points a team is predicted to win or lose by. Teams must cover in order for bets on them to win, meaning they must win by more, or lose by less, than the point spread has predicted.
- Money Line – These three-digit odds are placed next to each team to indicate their chances of winning and how much can be won on those odds versus how much the bettor risks. Moneyline bets allow for simple wagers to be made on which team will win and nothing else.
- Over/Under – This is the total amount of points that oddsmakers believe both teams will combine to score. NBA bettors must select whether they want to bet that the total will be over or under the line.
- Prop Bets – NBA proposition bets can cover any aspect of an NBA Christmas Day TV broadcast, from how many points a player will score, to if the singer will mess up the National Anthem. Anything occurring during the broadcast is fair game for a Christmas Day NBA prop bet.
Live Betting On Christmas Day NBA Games 2021
The international betting sites that we list on this page allow for live, in-game bets to be made on NBA Christmas games. Odds update continuously throughout the contest allowing for bets to be made on the team that is in the lead after each quarter, money line odds on winning NBA teams, and over/unders.
Don’t worry if you’ve missed the beginning of the game opening up gifts and playing with them. Our top sportsbook sites are always taking bets on the NBA’s Christmas Day games with the live pro basketball betting odds that they offer.
NBA Christmas Betting FAQs
The player who scored the most points on a Christmas NBA game is Bernard King, forward for the New York Knicks, who scored 60 points against the New Jersey Nets in 1984.
The NBA has yet to release the 2020-2021 season schedule. NBA Christmas games in 2020 will be posted on this page once they are announced.
NBA Christmas matchups can be seen online or on mobile devices via the ESPN App, or on other pay streaming services that feature ABC or ESPN as a channel option.
If indeed there are NBA games scheduled for Christmas Eve, you can bet that there’ll be Christmas NBA betting picks posted at the best sports betting sites that we feature in this guide.
Kobe Bryant has scored the most career points on Christmas Day with 395.