- The 81st Annual Golden Globes Awards Begin At 8 p.m. on January 7th
- The ceremony can be seen on CBS or streaming on Paramount+
- Barbie and Succession hold the lead in total Golden Globe nominations with nine
After a couple of recent down years for the Golden Globes, the ceremony is back in the good graces of the Hollywood elite and broadcast networks and is set to air on CBS and Paramount+ on the 7th of January.
The ceremony intends to recognize and honor the best in television and film for the year 2023. The Golden Globe nominees were unveiled on December 11th, and online entertainment sportsbooks have taken the prompt, creating betting odds for most major categories.
The two projects receiving the most Golden Globe nominations for 2023 are Barbie and Succession. Despite Barbie’s nine acknowledgments, the odds place it as the favorite in only one category – Best Picture: Musical/Comedy.
Golden Globes Odds To Win Best Picture: Musical/Comedy
- Barbie +100
- Poor Things +190
- The Holdovers +450
- American Fiction +600
- May December +2000
- Air +2500
Succession is not favored to win in any category. Matthew Macfadyen is ranked second in the odds to win Best Supporting Male Actor: Television, but he’s well behind James Marsden of Jury Duty.
The best shot that Succession has to win in any major category is held by Kieran Culkin and Sarah Snook. They are both second in Best Actor and Actress, respectively, and are within 70 to 115 points of first place.
Oppenheimer, the story of the creation of the first atomic bomb, has been nominated for eight Golden Globes. Entertainment prop bets favor Oppenheimer to win in four categories and place second in another.
Oppenheimer Odds For The Golden Globes
- Best Director: Motion Picture: Christopher Nolan -400
- Best Picture: Drama: Oppenheimer -400
- Best Supporting Actor: Motion Picture: Robert Downey, Jr -175
- Best Score: Motion Picture: Ludwig Göransson -500
- Best Male Actor: Motion Picture Drama: Cillian Murphy +100 (2nd place behind Bradley Cooper – Maestro)
Cillian Murphy has been featured in several films directed by Christopher Nolan, including Inception, Dunkirk, and his Batman trilogy. Murphy is currently drawing even money at online sportsbooks and is featured in second place for Best Male Actor: Motion Picture Drama behind Mastro’s Bradley Cooper.
The #GoldenGlobes nominees for Best Performance by a Male Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama are:
• Andrew Scott | All of Us Strangers
• Barry Keoghan | Saltburn
• Bradley Cooper | Maestro
• Cillian Murphy | Oppenheimer
• Colman Domingo | Rustin
• Leonardo DiCaprio |… pic.twitter.com/gmQJ5NKCgU
— Golden Globe Awards (@goldenglobes) December 18, 2023
Bradley is only 50 points ahead of Murphy in the odds to win the Best Male Actor Golden Globe, so it would hardly be an upset if Cillian is invited on stage.
Speaking of the stage, who is hosting the Golden Globes this year? There has been no official announcement made by CBS or the Golden Globes, but one can only hope that Ricky Gervais and his unique brand of humor will be invited back for another go at it.