Heading into the holidays, we advised stocking up on some crypto for your Christmas stocking.
Unfortunately, the market hasn’t exactly spiked. At least, not for most coins.
Solana – though only accepted by a handful of top-rated online sportsbooks such as BetOnline and SportsBetting AG – was our number one pick for the holiday season, but it hasn’t performed as well as Cardano (which we had in second place).
That’s the preview, but we really only got things right for those two coins.
Overall, here’s how our recommendations have performed since Christmas Eve:
- Solana (SOL) – Christmas Eve: $187.42; Today: $181.78 (-3.00%); High: $204.24 (8.97%)
- Cardano (ADA) – Christmas Eve: $1.44; Today: $1.41 (-2.08%); High: $1.59 (10.42%)
- Ethereum (ETH) – Christmas Eve: $4093.01; Today: $3822.79 (-6.60%); High: $4135.27 (1.03%)
- Bitcoin (BTC) – Christmas Eve: $50,990.06; Today: $47,782.99 (-6.29%); High: $51,953.63 (1.89%)
- Litecoin (LTC) – Christmas Eve: $164.44; Today: $147.10 (-10.54%); High: $164.79 (0.21%)
- Ripple (XRP) – Christmas Eve: $0.969; Today: $0.863 (-10.94%); High: $0.988 (1.96%)
- Chainlink (LINK) – Christmas Eve: $22.13; Today: $21.09 (-4.70%); High: $24.46 (10.53%)
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) – Christmas Eve: $457.07; Today: $444.70 (-2.71%); High: $474.67 (3.85%)
- Stellar (XLM) – Christmas Eve: $0.2824; Today: $0.2798 (-0.92%); High: $0.3046 (7.86%)
- Dogecoin (DOGE) – Christmas Eve: $0.1825; Today: $0.1766 (-3.23%); High: $0.1953 (7.01%)
As you can see, we were kind of all over the place.
Our top two picks performed well enough (third and second, respectively), making those pretty solid bets.
However, the remaining coins didn’t really perform even close to the general order we thought they would.
Now, to be clear, all major crypto coins are down from Christmas Eve to today, so we’re basing these “growth rankings” on how well they did at their peaks between then and now.
As such, here’s how the coins are actually compared re investment potential – assuming you sold at their highs (which is, of course, an unreasonable assumption in most cases – hindsight is 20/20, but foresight rarely is):
- Chainlink (7) – 10.53% increase
- Cardano (2) – 10.42% increase
- Solana (1) – 8.97% increase
- Stellar (9) – 7.86% increase
- Dogecoin (10) – 7.01% increase
- Bitcoin Cash (8) – 3.85% increase
- Ripple (6) – 1.96% increase
- Bitcoin (4) – 1.89% increase
- Ethereum (3) – 1.03% increase
- Litecoin (5) – 0.21% increase
It’s a good thing we often fail to take our own advice!
Moving on, if we’re ranking the coins using today’s values, here’s how they match up with our predictions:
- Stellar (9) – 0.92% decrease
- Cardano (2) – 2.08% decrease
- Bitcoin Cash (8) – 2.71% decrease
- Solana (1) – 3.00% decrease
- Dogecoin (10) – 3.23% decrease
- Chainlink (7) – 4.70% decrease
- Bitcoin (4) – 6.29% decrease
- Ethereum (3) – 6.60% decrease
- Litecoin (5) – 10.54 decrease
- Ripple (6) – 10.94% decrease
Taking the longer (but still extremely short) view, our top two picks – Solana and Cardano – again performed relatively well. That is, they lost among the least overall value over the duration in question.
But as with the ranking above, our middle picks were all more or less stacked at the bottom.
Again, we’re glad we don’t always take our own advice. But we did end up buying more SOL and ADA, and we’re definitely not upset about that.
All things considered, we’re nevertheless a little disappointed in the lack of any real holiday action on the crypto boards. Despite the current inflation crises and new coronavirus concerns, we figured that crypto would show some immunity in the marketplace.
That being said, there’s still time to see some serious gains before the end of 2021.
After all, our rationale for big spikes over the Christmas season was based primarily on gift giving. And since the banks only opened back up yesterday, there might be tens of millions of people just waiting on those last-minute checks to clear before they go all in on SOL, ADA, and everything else on the list.
Just remember that if you’re going to buy crypto to use for online sports betting banking, you’ll need to move quickly.
There are only two weeks left in the NFL regular season, the major crypto exchanges have waiting periods of 1-2 weeks for new members, and the best NFL Playoffs odds wait for no one.